Answers to your questions about PRP
Is PRP painful?
After we collect your blood and isolate your platelet-rich plasma, it is ready to be injected into the area where we want to stimulate growth. For example, for hairloss, we inject PRP directly into the skin of the scalp where the hair is thinning. Generally, you can expect an injection every 1 cm (about ½ tip of your pinky finger). Each injection stings a little as the PRP enters the area of skin where the root of the scalp is. We use ice or a chilled air blower to help minimize the discomfort during the procedure. After the procedure, the treated area is generally a little sore to the touch, but not painful – this improves over 48-72 hours.
How should I prepare for my PRP treatment?
BEFORE YOUR PRP TREATMENT
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let the doctor know.
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If possible, please refrain from, or minimize, smoking three days prior to and one day after the treatment. Smoking may impact healing and oxygen delivery to the scalp, therefore, your results may be improved the longer you are able to stop smoking before and after the treatment.
- Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Minimize alcoholic consumption the day prior to your PRP treatment.
THE MORNING OF YOUR PRP TREATMENT
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment and please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment.
- Sedation is NOT required for PRP treatments
What can I expect after my PRP treatment?
- DO NOT touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver, Essential Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after your treatment. Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results.
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 days following your procedure. If you experience any pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed.
- We would prefer if you could refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
- For the first 3 days, use shampoo that is pH balanced.
- Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer.
- Avoid resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) or hair coloring or straightening for 3 days.
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment.
Ready to Book Your PRP Treatment?
Call our Cary Office at 919.655.3929 or book online. We look forward to seeing you!